There is no shortage of imaginative headdresses around faire! You can pick up some lovely floral wreaths at The Royal Garland. Many of the leather shops sell beautiful pieces fit for a warrior or princess (or warrior princess). But for something more one-of-a-kind, you may want to take on the task of creating one of these for yourself. And how better to make sure you get a stylish, stand out headdress that compliments your outfit and lets your inner fantasy come to life than taking on the challenge of a ‘Halo’ headdress.
You may have seen these floating around the internet. The expansive halo creates an eye-catching visual that compliments playtron personas from the celestial to the infernal, the fae to the divine. It’s a bit of a challenge to manage well, but with a little time and patience (and a lot of hot glue), you can make a big entrance at this year’s Ohio Renaissance Festival!
D.I.Y. Halo Headdress
- Wooden kebab skewers
- Silk Flowers
- Spray Paint
- Hot glue
Step 1: Cut Kabab skewers
- Cut nine of the skewers into 8″ lengths
- Cut ten of the skewers into 5″ lengths
- Tip: cut off sharp point for a safer headdress
Step 2: Paint Skewers
- Spray paint skewers your desired color
- Allow to fully dry
Step 3: Add skewers to headband
- Hot glue skewers to handband alternating between long and short
- Hint: due to the curvature of the headband, you may need to cut some of the skewers shorter to achieve a rounded look
Step 4: Add Flowers
- Hot glue silk flowers around the headband to hide where skewers are glued.
- Tip: Try other accessories such as jewels, veils, chains, leaves, anything!
Headdress Inspiration From Around Faire
Edit: This D.I.Y. has been modified to make a safer end product.